- Hi Sarah, please can you start my introducing yourself and what you do? Hi! I am Sarah and I am a self taught Designer from Berlin. In the past I worked as a freelance 3D artist and Interior Consultant for renowned real estate agencies here in Europe for several years. But somehow I felt constricted in my creativity so I decided to stop freelancing to start my own projects together with my husband. Now I am always responsible for the branding and identity design of our projects. And Aesence is my personal space to share all the beautiful things that inspire me.
- What inspired you the start Aesence? I always wanted to have a place where I can save and share all the beautiful things I find through my daily inspiration routine. In the past I simply stored my findings on inspiration boards or saved them on my computer. After realizing that other people are interest in my taste I started Aesence with a focus on minimal design and products. In the last months I added more categories like photography and architecture. In my opinion there are only a few places out in the web with a strong visual consistency and I wanted Aesence to be such a place.
- You studied Architecture, how do you find that influences your creative thinking now? To be truly honest, my creative thinking isn’t influenced so much by this time. I studied Architecture because I thought it is a good way to express myself and my creativity but unfortunately reality is different and the way I am doing things now I’ve taught myself after graduation.
- What is it about minimalism that you particularly like? To focus and surround myself only with things and thoughts I really like and appreciate. In the past I moved a few times with my husband and everytime we decluttered our stuff. Owning less made my mind more quiet and focused and I learned that not much is needed to be happy. In the world of visual arts minimalism and simplicity is very satisfying for me and I simply love this kind of aesthetics.
- Do you think being a minimalist can restrict your creative idea’s? I think creativity always represents the personal development of a person. Living a minimal way of life can open your mind and make it even more creative. If you focus only on beautiful and positivethings it can inspire your creativity to a higher level.
- What is the best thing about having your blog and what advise can you give to other bloggers? For me the best thing is that I have my own place where I can do what I truly love. I think it is a wonderful way to share and inspire other people.
My advice for other bloggers is to focus on yourself, trust your gut and intuition and do what you love and like. If it feels right, go for it!
- Tell us your hope and dreams for the future? I really hope that more people become open minded about different approaches to life. And I would love to see more people giving credits and respect to the work of others. My dream is to work and live the rest of my life exactly like I am doing now.
Imagery with thanks to Sarah Dorweiler from Aesence