We meet Lily Montasser founder of Demeler, a blog created as her outlet to share personal style, inspiration and experiences.
1. Hi Lily, how are you? Would you just start by introducing yourself
Hi! I’m Lily, a California girl living in New York City.
2. Can you tell us a little bit more about Demeler and the story behind your blog?
I started Demeler right after I graduated college. It was born
out of that moment in my life where I had to choose a career path, but wasn’t exactly sure which route to take. And that’s what “demeler” means. It’s the French word for “unravel” or “solve.” It’s the act of taking something apart to put it together.
3. You studied at Parsons School of Design how has this experience shaped you ?
I went to Sarah Lawrence College, and did my “abroad” semester at Parsons. My college education itself did not really prepare me in any way, shape, or form, but my life around it did. Going to school in New York, I did a lot of fashion editorial and PR internships that helped me cultivate skills for what I do now.
4. What inspires you as a creative?
I’m really inspired by places. The “vibe” a place gives off—the smell, the air, the light, the colors. An airy minimalist gallery and a gritty New York corner will inspire me in two completely different ways.
5. How has Demeler and social media been an outlet for you?
It’s given me a platform (and a reason) to explore creatively.
6. What are the three items in your wardrobe you couldn’t live without and why?
My Givenchy Antigona bag because it fits my entire life in it. My Senso studded slides because they are so cute and comfortable. I can toss them on with my gym clothes to run errands and it’s instantly a cute outfit. And my Saint Laurent teddy jacket because it’s just so damn cool.
7. Tell us the best piece of advise you would give to someone starting a blog?
Stay authentic. With so much content, so much stimulation, and so many bloggers out there, it can be temping to get
swayed by others. Just stay true to your style and what you love! That’s what lasts in the end.
8. What is the best thing about living in New York?
You’ll never be bored! It can be 3am and I can’t sleep. So I’ll just walk outside and see where I end up. Maybe a 24 hour spa in Korea Town, or a tattoo parlor in the East Village, or a swanky diner in Chelsea. You never know!
Images with thanks to Lily Montasser from The Demeler